Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Passing a Brit on the Street

Journal Entry 1

I really enjoyed today’s lecture on British culture. I had definitely thought of England as “America Across the Sea” since we speak the same language, have the same long-term history, and share a special relationship. I didn’t realize that British culture would be much different than American culture.

I’ve spent a great deal of time by myself. For someone who is only two decades old, I have had a surprising number of incredible experiences. My resume is quite impressive, and I’ve taken many different lessons, held many offices, played on many teams, and traveled to many beautiful places. The hyperactive pace of my life and the experiences I have had have frequently come at the expense of relationships and time with people. Tables for one in restaurants, riding subways alone, and sightseeing the world by myself are all common occurrences in my life. Though I spend a good deal of time without company, I am a very outgoing and friendly person. I love meeting new people and will strike up a conversation with a rock if necessary. I frequently make friends in line for rides at Disneyland or while riding a bus in Washington DC. I never walk by a stranger without smiling and saying hello. The baristas at the Starbucks by my university all know me by name, and I know all of theirs as well. People have often asked me if I get lonely while reading at coffee shops alone or seeing movies unaccompanied, but I usually tell them no. While I do sometimes wish I had someone with which to share the beauty of the world, I feel connected even to the strangers around me and see them all as friends I just haven’t met yet.

I was so excited upon arriving in England to meet British people and to get to know their culture. I was surprised, however, at how lonely I felt as soon as I stepped off of the plane. Something seemed different, but I couldn’t quite figure out what. We have a decent walk to class each day, and as I walked past people on the cobblestone streets, I was surprised that no one seemed to meet my eyes. No one smiled. No one returned my cheerful greetings. No one really acknowledged my existence at all.

Today’s lecture was entitled, “British Customs and More”, and was intended to give guidance on how to relate to British society. One of the first things we talked about was the fact that the British are not terribly outgoing. They are not shy; they are reserved. With 50 million inhabitants on an island half the size of Oregon (by comparison, Oregon has 3.7 million inhabitants), it makes sense that Brits place privacy at a premium. Front porches are almost non-existent in England, as people prefer to escape to the solitude of back patios instead. Their reserved nature is out of respect for one another. It is so strange and counterintuitive to me to pass people on the streets without flashing a sunny smile and saying hello. It is so strange that the “friendly” manner of behavior in one country is considered rude in another. I keep constantly reminding myself not to make eye contact when I walk to and from class.

Our lecturer also informed us that British prefer understatement to loud enthusiasm and praise. I am such an enthusiastic and energetic person, so I keep having to remind myself to lower my voice. I had never imagined that I would find myself needing to adjust my personality in order to blend in to life in Oxford! This difference in cultural expression has led me to a feeling of isolation in England. The barrier between strangers in British cultures is so discouraging to me as I keep searching for some kind of connection or sense of belonging here. I cannot wait for the Oxford term to start in October so that we can dine in college, join extracurricular activities, and meet British students!

As we learned more about British culture and values, I began to wonder how modern Christianity fits into British society. Europeans tend to be more pessimistic than Americans. They have seen much more destruction than we have and thus have a tragic sense of life. Americans have more of a sense of life’s infinite opportunities. Europe is a class and status society, while America is a contract society, and Brits do not like to be seen as servants. Christianity, however, emphasizes serving one’s neighbor, open accountability, a sense of community, and complete submission below God. These ideas seem so opposite the values of British culture. It seems like the mission field in England poses some extra challenges, as the Christian life appears to involve such a deviation from common culture here. I would be interested to learn more about Christianity in England and the attitudes of Brits towards the church.

Photo by Adam Simpson ~ Here I am looking at one of the many beautiful buildings in Oxford


Photo by Adam Simpson ~ Touring the city on our first day in Oxford


Photo by Adam Simpson ~ Listening to our tour guide tell us about Oxford traditions involving confetti and cake batter

No comments: