Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bittersweet Goodbyes

Yesterday, Jenna and I went to a Thai restaurant on High Street, owned by some men that we met at Copa, an Oxford pub, last night. They gave us their card and invited us to come, and as Jenna went to Thailand on a mission trip last Summer and loves the Thai culture, we decided to visit for lunch.

The restaurant was down a quaint alleyway between two High Street buildings. On the outside hung baskets of flowers. It was like walking to a hidden retreat away from the busyness of one of Oxford’s main streets. When we walked in, I had to catch my surprise at the odd juxtaposition of visiting a Thai restaurant in Oxford. The tables and décor were fitting for an Asian restaurant, but the building itself was very much English, with wood paneling and worn wooden stairs and a large fireplace against the wall. A single yellow rose decorated each table.

Our Thai friend welcomed us to his restaurant, and we ordered Jenna’s favorite Thai soup, Tom Ka Gai, a coconut soup with chicken and lemongrass. She also had a favorite dish, Pad See Ew, that the cook special made for us, as it wasn’t on the menu. A side of sticky white rice completed our meal, which was absolutely wonderful. It was so good to sit and talk with Jenna. My biggest regret of Oxford is that I haven’t made many friends with the British students, and I have missed conversations over lunch with close friends. After lunch, our Thai friend brought us complementary jasmine tea. He told us that we are his first American friends, and he was disappointed that Jenna was leaving that night. One of the cooks, who had purchased us drinks the night before, even came out from the kitchen to say hello and make sure that everything was good. It was so nice to make friends with locals, especially from another culture that Jenna loves so dearly.

From the restaurant, we walked down St. Aldate’s Street to the Head of the River Pub. We didn’t go inside, but its outdoor patio is the perfect place to view the beautiful Thames, or Isis as it is called in Oxford, and watch the ducks and swans that swim underneath its bridges. We crossed the bridge and wandered along the river. I’d only walked that Thames path once before, and both times it has been one of my favorite moments in Oxford. Leaving Jenna at the train station was so difficult, and I felt so incredibly homesick and alone as I returned to my flat. I wanted so badly to get on the train to London with her and steal away back to APU. I was more than a little jealous, as I miss my friends and campus life so much.

Today I woke up late and walked into town to visit the Radcliffe Camera, where I had books waiting that I had requested from the stacks. As I walked into town, I was acutely aware that I will be leaving Oxford soon. I walked down Walton Road, passing the shops and cafes that have become so familiar over the past three months. I will miss stopping for paninis at Meltz-to-Go, drinking mulled wine at Jude the Obscure, visiting my friend, Mark, the owner of Gastros Deli, for organic chicken baguettes, looking at the unique finds at the Minds charity shop, drooling over the beautiful dresses in the window at Posh Frocks, and late night trips to George and Danver’s for homemade ice cream. This town and these streets have become my home, and I can’t believe that I will be leaving.

As I walked through town and admired the beautiful buildings of Oxford, I had to hold back tears. I am currently sitting on a bench built into the stone on the side of the Radcliffe Camera, finishing my coffee before I go inside to research for my church history paper. The Camera is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, both inside and out. The sky is dark and grey with clouds threatening rain, but there is something so peaceful and refreshing in the soft breeze that is blowing my hair. This town has an indescribable charm and warmth, and it’s cobblestone streets and spires seem to hold secrets that beckon one to stay and explore. As much as I look forward to being back with family and friends, I will miss Oxford and hope to return soon.


Jenna at the Thai restuarant in Oxford, in front of the English fireplace


The Thames at dusk from the patio of Head of the River


Inside the lower Radcliffe Camera


The Radcliffe Camera at night

No comments: